VAST   |   Tel: 01782 683030   |   Email: [email protected]

Info: Energy Grants, Schemes and Debt Relief

Government schemes:

  • Winter Fuel Payment – a fuel payment for people born on or before 25 September 1956. 
  • Cold Weather Payment – a payment for every 7 days of very cold weather between November and March. 
  • Warm Home Discount – a discount for some people getting Pension Credit or some people in low-income household.
  • Household Support Fund – a funding package to help vulnerable households. You can contact your local council for advice and help on accessing the fund.

See if you can get paid to generate your own renewable power and heat through the:

  • Feed-in Tariff and Smart Export Guarantee
  • Boiler Upgrade Scheme -The government is providing grants to encourage property owners to install low carbon heating systems such as heat pumps. These grants can help property owners overcome the upfront cost of low carbon heating technologies.

One-off payments to support people with the rising cost of energy bills:

Information from:


Government Site

As part of the Energy Bill Support Scheme, £400 is available for all households to help with rising energy bills, regardless of income or size of house.

The discount will be made automatically by your energy supplier. There is no need to apply.

Households receive the £400 in 6 instalments:

  • £66 in October and November
  • £67 a month from December to March 2023

These payments apply to all households in England, Scotland and Wales.

How will I receive the support?

I pay by direct debit:

If you pay by direct debit, you’ll get an automatic deduction on your bill.

I have a prepayment meter:

If you have a “smart” prepayment meter, you’ll get a monthly top-up on your account.

If you have a “non-smart” prepayment meter, you’ll receive a discount voucher. This will be in the first week of each month, via text, email or in the post.

The voucher can be redeemed in person at your usual top-up point.

Households on means tested benefits, including Universal Credit, Pension Credit and Tax Credits, will receive a payment of £650 this year. 

This will be made automatically in two instalments, a £326 was made in summer and another £324 payment will be made by DWP to eligible customers between 8 and 23 November, with HMRC making payments to eligible tax credit-only customers shortly after. This is in addition to the £400 discount on energy bills. 

Find out more information

Households that receive the Winter Fuel Payment will get this on top of any other support they’re entitled to. This tax-free payment won’t affect any other entitlements.

For most people this will be paid by direct debit.

The Household Support Fund, provided by local authorities, has been increased by £500 million and extended until March 2023.

The fund helps households most in need to pay for essentials such as food and utilities.

To find out more and apply, contact your local council

Priority Services Register:

You are eligible if you:

  • have reached your state pension age
  • are disabled or have a long-term medical condition
  • are recovering from an injury
  • have a hearing or sight condition
  • have a mental health condition
  • are pregnant or have young children
  • have extra communication needs (such as if you don’t speak or read English well).


You might still be able to register for other reasons if your situation isn’t listed. For example, if you need short-term support after a stay in hospital. 

Apply by contacting your energy supplier or network operator

Give them your contact details and as much information as you can about your needs.

Your supplier can pass your details to your network operator to add you to their register too. It’s a good idea to ask them to do this if you rely on your energy supply for medical reasons.

If you have a different supplier for your gas and electricity, you need to contact them both.

You’ll need to register again with any new supplier if you switch supplier.

  • Advance notice of planned power cuts. If you rely on your energy supply for medical reasons your network operator can tell you about planned power cuts. For example, when they plan engineering work.
  • Priority support in an emergency. Network operators could provide heating and cooking facilities if you are cut off supply.
  • Identification and password scheme. This could include arranging a password or agreed on picture cards if callers need to visit or contact you. This way you can feel confident they are genuine. 
  • Nominee scheme. You can nominate someone to receive communications and bills from your supplier. For example, a family member, carer or someone you trust.
  • Help with prepayment meter access. For example, moving a meter if you can’t safely get to it to top up.
  • Regular meter reading services. For example, if nobody can read your meter.
  • Accessible information. For example, account info and bills in large print or braille.


Suppliers and Network operators could offer other support services. Ask them how they can help you. 

Suppliers can offer free gas safety checks every 12 months. You can request a safety check if you get a means-tested benefit and either:

  • live with a child under five years old
  • live alone or with others and have reached state pension age
  • live alone or with others and are disabled or chronically ill
  • live with others who have reached state pension age or are disabled, chronically ill or under 18 years old. 

Landlords are normally responsible for keeping your gas appliances safe if you don’t own your own home. Further information about landlord obligations is listed on the Health and Safety Executive website.  

Free similar services to the Priority Services Register are available in the watertelecoms and public transport sectors. Ask your providers about them. 

Energy supplier grants to help with energy debt:

The following energy suppliers offer grants to their customers:


If your supplier isn’t listed it’s a good idea to contact them directly to see what extra support they can give you.

If you can’t get a grant from your supplier, you might be able to get a grant from the British Gas Energy Trust. These grants are available to anyone – you don’t have to be a British Gas customer. You’ll need to get debt advice before applying – get help from a debt adviser.

If you’ve already spoken to a debt adviser – check if you can get a grant from the British Gas Energy Trust.

Read more on the Citizen’s Advice website.

Useful links: